Last update: May 6, 2022
Iceland Step by Step is a travel agent. If you’re visiting Iceland, we’re more than happy to plan a cruise with any company for you! We’re certified Iceland experts, and also a member of CLIA, the Cruise Lines International Association. We love planning cruises with Viking, or Hurtigruten, or Windstar, or Crystal Cruises (though maybe not right now for Crystal.) We know Iceland, and we know cruising:
(Just click the little icon at the bottom right of the screen to connect with us about your cruise planning! Also join our Facebook group, Iceland Cruises!)
But I highly recommend you cruise with Iceland ProCruises. Let me say right up front that this is not a self-serving commissions grab. Iceland ProCruises pays some of the lowest commissions in the industry! Plus, their cruises are cheaper than most to begin with. So I make much less money if you cruise with them!
But my job is to make sure you have the best experience, and get the best deal. And that’s why you should consider sailing on the Ocean Diamond with Iceland ProCruises:
Reasons to cruise with Iceland ProCruises
- The company is co-owned by an Icelandic citizen. That’s not surprising given the name… what other cruise company has Iceland in the name? Lots of people are going to be cruising around Iceland this summer, and some Icelandic locals don’t love seeing those big ships come into port. If you’re on a cruise, Iceland doesn’t get any income from your lodging, your (lack of) rental car, or most of your food. But if you’re with Iceland ProCruises, some of that money you’re spending stays in Iceland. I have no proof of this, but I do think that the locals are happier when they see Iceland ProCruises on the side of the ship.
- A majority of the people on the excursion team are Icelandic. And since the ship is small (210 passengers at or less) you’re getting to interact with these expedition leaders. You’re getting a feel for the culture and the personality of Iceland much more on this ship than on any other.
Here’s one of the members of the expedition team: Arndís. She’s a famous opera singer in Iceland. This is on a free zodiac boat excursion.
- It’s reasonably priced. Iceland cruises are expensive in general. Of course, your transportation and food and lodging are all included, not to mention almost all of your trip planning. Regardless, cruises are usually more expensive than a self-driving vacation, and Iceland cruises are more expensive than a mega-cruise ship voyage to the Caribbean.
But Iceland ProCruises voyages are the cheapest out there for circumnavigation cruises around Iceland. Sometimes dramatically cheaper. For example, with 3 people in a triple room these cruises are half the price of most other cruises.
- The excursions are very reasonably priced. When you look at cruise prices, or when your travel agent recommends one, usually all you hear about is the base price, and maybe a drink package or WiFi promotion. They don’t talk about the excursion prices. Some companies charge outrageous markups on excursions. Iceland ProCruises prices are very reasonable. They’re not giving them away, but they’re not trying to gouge you.
Plus, the prices are clearly spelled out on their web site. No surprises here.
- Early bird rates are still in effect for 2022 cruises! And early bird rates for 2023 go until December 31, 2022.
The downside of and Iceland cruise with Iceland ProCruises
Many other cruise companies offer a free excursion option at every port. This is almost always just a walking tour of the town you’re in. But it’s still nice to have the option of a relaxing day without spending anything.
Fortunately, we can provide you with a free customized walking tour for your group if you decide to not to take a shore excursion. See more details about our free Iceland full-service cruise planning package here. It’s another reason to book tour Iceland cruise with an Iceland travel expert! Just fill out the form below for more information.
We took a cruise with Iceland ProCruises in July of 2021, and we’re happy to help you plan your cruise and recommend excursions. Feel free to e-mail us with any questions!